A Bachelor’s degree…

Home Forums The Chatterbox A Bachelor’s degree…

This topic contains 21 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of brach brach 6 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #277052
    Avatar of camb0dianguy
    camb0dianguy
    Participant

    “A Bachelor’s degree is becoming equivalent to a high school Diploma.” I’ve been hearing this very often lately and just wonder how others feel about this statement?

    #277066
    Avatar of I3ig_Machine
    I3ig_Machine
    Participant

    Becuz anybody can get a college education nowadays and more competition. Nobody thinks you’re special anymore to have a degree, but it’s expected to get one. With all of the financial aid and colleges everywhere, what kind of person doesn’t go to college? It’s like how back in the old days, it was rare for even middle schoolers to get an education. Now everybody is supposed to have one. As society advances, what’s considered prestigious becomes the norm and expected. 10 years ago, if you’re a Khmer that went to college, that’s like wow. Nowadays, if u ain’t going, then what the F is wrong with you?

    #277076
    Avatar of MissDarina
    MissDarina
    Participant

    I disagree. I don’t think that I like such a statement as “Bachelors Degree is the new high school diploma” as if it were a fashion statement (i.e. “gray is the new black”). Having a bachelors degree (regardless of field of study/major/university) never goes out of fashion…it’s permanent and stays with you for the rest of your life whether it be on resumes, profiles, CVs, through conversation, etc. In my opinion, it’s always cool. :)

    It shows commitment and responsibility to higher education and demonstrates that the individual is able to reach further beyond the high school diploma. I know that there is an increasing amount of people pursuing Masters/PhD but that should not take away from those who have taken the initiative to get a Bachelor’s Degree. Higher education is a challenging and competitive venture, so I applaud those who have done so.

    [Message last modified 01-11-2008 07:48am by MissDarina]

    #277087
    Avatar of RotaryBoy
    RotaryBoy
    Participant

    it some cases, yea. depend on the major.

    the degree matter in two situation.

    1) your first job, they wanna see if you grad from college. But if a lot of ppl have it, you gotta make sure you are different than the other person to get accepted.

    Afterward the jobs and position you take mainly determine your experience not your degree

    2) Salary and position. Some company, in certain fields can’t promote you higher if you don’t have a degree. but if you already got the skillz to work for the company and got the higher promotion you can get without a degree and want to move up. The company ussually offer to help pay for the classes as long you maintain a certain gpa.

    #277097
    Avatar of cc7tnk
    cc7tnk
    Participant

    False, how often do you find a person with a HS diploma making between $60-$80k?

    #277107
    Avatar of RotaryBoy
    RotaryBoy
    Participant

    but I know a lot of college grad with BS who makes under that.

    [i]Originally posted by cc7tnk[/i]
    False, how often do you find a person with a HS diploma making between $60-$80k?

    #277118
    Avatar of
    Anonymous

    If people believe this, I feel sorry for people with just a HS Diploma. A Bachelor’s degree will always be a Bachelor’s degree, nothing more and nothing less.

    [i]Originally posted by camb0dianguy[/i]
    “A Bachelor’s degree is becoming equivalent to a high school Diploma.” I’ve been hearing this very often lately and just wonder how others feel about this statement?

    #277129
    Avatar of I3ig_Machine
    I3ig_Machine
    Participant

    I’m not saying it in a fashion sense. I’m saying that it’s becoming like how high school use to be. High school use to be a rare opportunity that only a few got a chance to experience. As society and technology advance, high school has become the norm and expected. High school is something that even the poorest person can achieve. Nowadays, you can’t get anywhere without high school.

    It is becoming the same with college where everybody has the opportunity to go to college. There’s really no reason for a person to not go to college. There are no shortage of poor of single mothers in college. The only reason why one may not go is that they just don’t want to. With so many people going to college, it too has become the norm and expected. Before, to get a so so job, all you need was a high school degree. Nowadays, to get that same so so job, you need a college education. There are so many college graduates out there competing for so so jobs…why they gonna choose a high school graduate?

    I’m sure that has to be one of the reasons why you got a Master’s degree, right? I read that more ppl are pursuing a master’s degree. A bachelor’s degree is just not going to cut it becuz there is so much competition.

    [i]Originally posted by MissDarina[/i]
    I disagree. I don’t think that I like such a statement as “Bachelors Degree is the new high school diploma” as if it were a fashion statement (i.e. “gray is the new black”). Having a bachelors degree (regardless of field of study/major/university) never goes out of fashion…it’s permanent and stays with you for the rest of your life whether it be on resumes, profiles, CVs, through conversation, etc. In my opinion, it’s always cool. :)

    It shows commitment and responsibility to higher education and demonstrates that the individual is able to reach further beyond the high school diploma. I know that there is an increasing amount of people pursuing Masters/PhD but that should not take away from those who have taken the initiative to get a Bachelor’s Degree. Higher education is a challenging and competitive venture, so I applaud those who have done so.

    [Message last modified 01-11-2008 07:48am by MissDarina]

    #277140
    Avatar of I3ig_Machine
    I3ig_Machine
    Participant

    Also, just one more thing. I am not devaluing a bachelor’s degree. I think a bachelor’s degree in itself is the same or better over the years. I’m mostly talking about the increasing number of people pursuing it and the competition for jobs. If you want a better job and stay ahead, then you have to do something else to keep yourself ahead.

    Especially now, I think kids are smarter than adults for the first time in human history. They have computers and the internet at a young age. With a few keystrokes, they have more information than most adults have in their lifetimes. These are the ppl we have to compete against. They take lower pay too.

    #277151
    Avatar of MissDarina
    MissDarina
    Participant

    [i]Originally posted by I3ig_Machine[/i]
    I’m not saying it in a fashion sense. I’m saying that it’s becoming like how high school use to be. High school use to be a rare opportunity that only a few got a chance to experience. As society and technology advance, high school has become the norm and expected. High school is something that even the poorest person can achieve. Nowadays, you can’t get anywhere without high school.

    It is becoming the same with college where everybody has the opportunity to go to college. There’s really no reason for a person to not go to college. There are no shortage of poor of single mothers in college. The only reason why one may not go is that they just don’t want to. With so many people going to college, it too has become the norm and expected. Before, to get a so so job, all you need was a high school degree. Nowadays, to get that same so so job, you need a college education. There are so many college graduates out there competing for so so jobs…why they gonna choose a high school graduate?

    I’m sure that has to be one of the reasons why you got a Master’s degree, right? I read that more ppl are pursuing a master’s degree. A bachelor’s degree is just not going to cut it becuz there is so much competition.

    [quote]
    [i]Originally posted by MissDarina[/i]
    I disagree. I don’t think that I like such a statement as “Bachelors Degree is the new high school diploma” as if it were a fashion statement (i.e. “gray is the new black”). Having a bachelors degree (regardless of field of study/major/university) never goes out of fashion…it’s permanent and stays with you for the rest of your life whether it be on resumes, profiles, CVs, through conversation, etc. In my opinion, it’s always cool. :)

    It shows commitment and responsibility to higher education and demonstrates that the individual is able to reach further beyond the high school diploma. I know that there is an increasing amount of people pursuing Masters/PhD but that should not take away from those who have taken the initiative to get a Bachelor’s Degree. Higher education is a challenging and competitive venture, so I applaud those who have done so.

    [Message last modified 01-11-2008 07:48am by MissDarina]

    [/quote]

    I see your point. Thank you for the clarification.

    #277162
    Avatar of
    Anonymous

    I’ll believe this once McDonalds require a Bachelor’s degree to serve fries.

    [i]Originally posted by I3ig_Machine[/i]
    A bachelor’s degree is just not going to cut it becuz there is so much competition.

    #277174
    Avatar of KomLostBong
    KomLostBong
    Participant

    How long does it take a person who graduated Master Degree to get a job of his/her career???

    #277185
    Avatar of MissDarina
    MissDarina
    Participant

    [i]Originally posted by KomLostBong[/i]
    How long does it take a person who graduated Master Degree to get a job of his/her career???

    Depends on the degree/job type.

    In social work, there is a great demand for MSWs, particularly those who speak more than more language. Personally, the most difficult/challenging part is deciding where I wanted to go. I was offered several positions prior to graduation of my Masters. I already knew where I would be employed by my graduation.

    #277197
    Avatar of I3ig_Machine
    I3ig_Machine
    Participant

    I’m talking in general…I thought u went to college? haha. Most ppl don’t need to go to college to be smart enough to understand what i’m talking about, but I guess some others do. Maybe a few more art and philosphy classes will get u on track?

    [i]Originally posted by agent0o5[/i]
    I’ll believe this once McDonalds require a Bachelor’s degree to serve fries.

    [quote]
    [i]Originally posted by I3ig_Machine[/i]
    A bachelor’s degree is just not going to cut it becuz there is so much competition.

    [/quote]

    #277207
    Avatar of
    Anonymous

    Oh, like everyone else, I’m familiar with your generalizations, which happens to usually be hasty generalizations. But you’re missing my point. Think it over for a bit.

    [i]Originally posted by I3ig_Machine[/i]
    I’m talking in general…I thought u went to college? haha. Most ppl don’t need to go to college to be smart enough to understand what i’m talking about, but I guess some others do. Maybe a few more art and philosphy classes will get u on track?

    [quote]
    [i]Originally posted by agent0o5[/i]
    I’ll believe this once McDonalds require a Bachelor’s degree to serve fries.

    [quote]
    [i]Originally posted by I3ig_Machine[/i]
    A bachelor’s degree is just not going to cut it becuz there is so much competition.

    [/quote]

    [Message last modified 01-12-2008 03:31pm by agent0o5]

    #277219
    Avatar of I3ig_Machine
    I3ig_Machine
    Participant

    I’m missing your point? Your taking what i’m saying and using it for your own benefit. You see, you don’t need to go to college to learn everything…you just learned from me…lol.

    [i]Originally posted by agent0o5[/i]
    Oh, like everyone else, I’m familiar with your generalizations, which happens to usually be [i]hasty generalizations[/i]. But you’re missing my point. Think it over for a bit.

    #277231
    Avatar of
    Anonymous

    Thank you for trying to teach me something. lol. But, I prefer to learn from experienced and knowledgeable people, in which a college professor is one of them.

    Anyways, since you’ve missed my point. The point is that a Bachelor’s degree won’t cut it when it becomes so commonplace that companies need to change their “requirement” for a Bachelor’s degree in fields that don’t require Bachelor’s degree and change requirement for Master’s degree in fields that don’t require it. Until then, it’ll “cut” it. Of course, I’ll need more experience or a better degree if I want to be above the competition or move up the ladder(better position), respectively. However, that still means a Bachelor’s degree will ‘cut’ it, ie Bachelor’s degree not equivalent to HS diploma, yet.

    [i]Originally posted by I3ig_Machine[/i]
    I’m missing your point? Your taking what i’m saying and using it for your own benefit. You see, you don’t need to go to college to learn everything…you just learned from me…lol.

    [quote]
    [i]Originally posted by agent0o5[/i]
    Oh, like everyone else, I’m familiar with your generalizations, which happens to usually be [i]hasty generalizations[/i]. But you’re missing my point. Think it over for a bit.

    [/quote]

    [Message last modified 01-13-2008 08:31pm by agent0o5]

    #277243
    Avatar of cheakrisna
    cheakrisna
    Participant

    It’s a simple supply-and-demand economics. The more Bachelor’s degree holders there are, the less value they become.

    [i]Originally posted by camb0dianguy[/i]
    “A Bachelor’s degree is becoming equivalent to a high school Diploma.” I’ve been hearing this very often lately and just wonder how others feel about this statement?

    #277254
    Avatar of I3ig_Machine
    I3ig_Machine
    Participant

    U sure u went to college man? Do u need to spend a few more years taking art and philosophy classes?

    [i]Originally posted by agent0o5[/i]
    Thank you for trying to teach me something. lol. But, I prefer to learn from experienced and knowledgeable people, in which a college professor is one of them.

    Anyways, since you’ve missed my point. The point is that a Bachelor’s degree won’t cut it when it becomes so commonplace that companies need to change their “requirement” for a Bachelor’s degree in fields that don’t require Bachelor’s degree and change requirement for Master’s degree in fields that don’t require it. Until then, it’ll “cut” it. Of course, I’ll need more experience or a better degree if I want to be above the competition or move up the ladder(better position), respectively. However, that still means a Bachelor’s degree will ‘cut’ it, ie Bachelor’s degree not equivalent to HS diploma, [i]yet[/i].

    #277265
    Avatar of
    Anonymous

    What I ‘need’ is to stop taking our debates to your level, aka resorting to insult level. You can discuss an opposing viewpoint without resorting to insults or being an ass. I hope.

    [i]Originally posted by I3ig_Machine[/i]
    U sure u went to college man? Do u need to spend a few more years taking art and philosophy classes?

    [Message last modified 01-16-2008 12:36pm by agent0o5]

    #277276
    Avatar of soul12ebel
    soul12ebel
    Participant

    its true. makes me wonder though why so many people are so damned stupid.

    #277287
    Avatar of brach
    brach
    Participant

    [i]Originally posted by camb0dianguy[/i]
    “A Bachelor’s degree is becoming equivalent to a high school Diploma.” I’ve been hearing this very often lately and just wonder how others feel about this statement?

    BS or higher degree/ EXPERIENCES—->$$$$$$/open doors to better opportunities

    [Message last modified 01-18-2008 04:36pm by brach]

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)