New to San Francisco

Home Forums The Chatterbox New to San Francisco

This topic contains 58 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of VWAaron VWAaron 2 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 24 posts - 36 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #1647500
    Avatar of BayTownKhmer
    BayTownKhmer
    Participant

    Yea, Nob Hill is pretty cool. Really close to everything. There is only one place I know around here that has some Cambodian people. That is this grocery store called Battambang in the Tenderloin. Nice ladies who run the place. Unfortunately they didn’t understand a word I said. San Francisco has been pretty cool so far. Rent is expensive, but you can drink and eat for really cheap.

    #1647501
    Avatar of kulet
    kulet
    Participant

    Lol… Find them in the donuts shop. Great places to socialize or network. Hehe

    [i]Originally posted by rexa[/i]
    Lots of Khmer in SF. You can find meet them in Donut/sandwich shop. I kid you not. I’m currently working in SF. I’m looking to move back to SF. I need to find a roomate.

    [quote]
    [i]Originally posted by BayTownKhmer[/i]
    Hello Everyone,

    I am new to San Francisco. Just moved into town after spending most of my life in Chicago. I was wondering if there were any Khmer people in San Francisco? I’ve been wandering around the city, and stumbled across a bunch of different ethnicities, but haven’t been able to find any Cambodian people. I read that there is a large community in Oakland, but haven’t heard much about San Francisco.

    [Message last modified 06-11-2012 10:08pm by BayTownKhmer]

    [/quote]

    #1647502
    Avatar of rexa
    rexa
    Participant

    Oh, Mr.Kim….How could you not know where she went? She came to my house.

    [i]Originally posted by kimpirun98[/i]
    Hey!! what are you talking about huh!!! Did you see my gf went to somewhere around tere!!! i missed her for one night already..
    [quote]
    [i]Originally posted by VWAaron[/i]
    i agree. we need someone else to spice up the forums besides KLB
    [quote]
    [i]Originally posted by rexa[/i]
    It’s about time I take control of something. LOL!! This is fun..I should do it more often.

    [quote]
    [i]Originally posted by VWAaron[/i]
    Rexa is taking over this thread :D

    [/quote]
    [/quote]
    [/quote]

    #1647503
    Avatar of snabela
    snabela
    Participant

    I cannot get used to the fact, that asian people want to have long noses.

    My mum has quite a striking nose and I’m so glad mine turned out smaller.

    [i]Originally posted by kimpirun98[/i]
    Mann I want to have a Gf Canadain becuase I want to see my kids have longer noses…kekekek

    #1647504
    Avatar of xAteytakalx
    xAteytakalx
    Participant

    You won’t find Khmer gathering in large groups on a daily basis here in the Bay Area. I work in SF (Design District) and I haven’t met another Cambodian since I started working in the city however I do know they exist ehehee Another thing is that I myself get mistaken a lot for Filipino because there are a lot of them here this just comes to show that it’s kind of hard to pinpoint who is Khmer and what not just by seeing them. You might go to an Asian market and if they don’t speak Khmer you can’t tell. Since I moved here to the Bay Area I’ve only encounter a couple Khmer shopping at the Asian market and that’s because they spoke Khmer. There are a lot of Khmer in Oakland because the cost of living is more affordable, plus the layout of the houses (4-plex) makes it more convenient for Khmer to live close to each other.

    I used to live in a 200+ apartment complex for years and don’t know if there’s any other Cambodian sharing that complex because I just go to work and return home. The most I say to my neighbors are “Hi, how are you?” and “Have a nice day!” LOL

    Now I moved to a different area in the East Bay and still no Cambodian next door neighbor, but I have made friends with Khmer that I know from facebook who happened to live in and around the area. Once you know a couple, you will know more as time goes by because there will be BBQ and get together cooking on weekends since it’s our day off.

    If you want to see a lot of Khmer in one spot at one time, then go to Stockton. Don’t have to be on a holiday. You can find them at parks in the evening and in certain apartment complex (Park Village (99% Khmer lives in 300+ apartment), then there’s also Manchester and I forgot the rest LOL)

    #1647505

    AhSaren
    Participant

    Greensboro, bedlow, kenfield…

    [i]Originally posted by xAteytakalx[/i]
    You won’t find Khmer gathering in large groups on a daily basis here in the Bay Area. I work in SF (Design District) and I haven’t met another Cambodian since I started working in the city however I do know they exist ehehee Another thing is that I myself get mistaken a lot for Filipino because there are a lot of them here this just comes to show that it’s kind of hard to pinpoint who is Khmer and what not just by seeing them. You might go to an Asian market and if they don’t speak Khmer you can’t tell. Since I moved here to the Bay Area I’ve only encounter a couple Khmer shopping at the Asian market and that’s because they spoke Khmer. There are a lot of Khmer in Oakland because the cost of living is more affordable, plus the layout of the houses (4-plex) makes it more convenient for Khmer to live close to each other.

    I used to live in a 200+ apartment complex for years and don’t know if there’s any other Cambodian sharing that complex because I just go to work and return home. The most I say to my neighbors are “Hi, how are you?” and “Have a nice day!” LOL

    Now I moved to a different area in the East Bay and still no Cambodian next door neighbor, but I have made friends with Khmer that I know from facebook who happened to live in and around the area. Once you know a couple, you will know more as time goes by because there will be BBQ and get together cooking on weekends since it’s our day off.

    If you want to see a lot of Khmer in one spot at one time, then go to Stockton. Don’t have to be on a holiday. You can find them at parks in the evening and in certain apartment complex (Park Village (99% Khmer lives in 300+ apartment), then there’s also Manchester and I forgot the rest LOL)

    #1647506
    Avatar of Alpha
    Alpha
    Participant

    Welcome to San Francisco! I’m working in the Financial District so if you want to hang out, perhaps for happy hours after work, I’m up for it.

    [i]Originally posted by BayTownKhmer[/i]
    I actually found an apartment in Nob Hill. I work in Union Sqaure. When I first moved out here, I went to check out that temple. Unfortunately, I think it was closed. I’ve never been back since.

    But if anyone ever gets the chance to hang out around Union or Downtown area, hit me up. I’m always down to meet new Cambodian people. I’ll be the one who doesn’t speak Khmer to well.

    [quote]
    [i]Originally posted by rexa[/i]
    The Khmer I know in SF spend most of their time at home or at work. You won’t catch them out and about. You can also meet Khmer at the Temple. This weekend the temple is having a 100 days remembrance for a well known man in SF community. Here’s the info:

    At Nagara Dhamma Temple (3225 Lincoln Way; tel 415-665-7566), between 33th
    and 34th Ave, SF

    On Saturday, June 16, 2012, at 10:00am
    with offering Lunch to Monks around 11:am, and end around 12:00 noon,
    and we’ll have lunch at the Temple, after 12:00 noon.

    What area are you working or living at? I don’t have a car either. Let’s be bus buddy and do happy hour together. I have my clipper card ready to go.

    [quote]
    [i]Originally posted by BayTownKhmer[/i]
    So I’ve been in San Francisco for about 2 months, and still, no Khmer people. It probably depends on the places I hang out in. North Beach, Marina, SoMa, Mission. Not to many Cambodians in those areas. I was thinking of checking out the association in Oakland soon. As for Stockton, I’ve been there before as a kid. I don’t have a car, so was planning on heading over there any time soon.

    [/quote]

    [Message last modified 06-14-2012 10:17am by BayTownKhmer][/quote]

    #1647507
    Avatar of Alpha
    Alpha
    Participant

    Driving and finding parking in SF can be difficult sometimes so a lot of us here in the city do use public transportation or just catch a cab.

    [i]Originally posted by rexa[/i]
    My heart was damage in San Francisco. My connection is here in the City. I may not give you good driving direction to places in the City but I know all my bus route. :)

    [quote]
    [i]Originally posted by AhSaren[/i]
    She must’ve left her heart in San Francisco.
    [quote]
    [i]Originally posted by VWAaron[/i]
    Rexa is taking over this thread :D

    [/quote]
    [/quote]

    #1647508
    Avatar of rexa
    rexa
    Participant

    Yep. That’s right!

    [i]Originally posted by Alpha[/i]
    Driving and finding parking in SF can be difficult sometimes so a lot of us here in the city do use public transportation or just catch a cab.

    [quote]
    [i]Originally posted by rexa[/i]
    My heart was damage in San Francisco. My connection is here in the City. I may not give you good driving direction to places in the City but I know all my bus route. :)

    [quote]
    [i]Originally posted by AhSaren[/i]
    She must’ve left her heart in San Francisco.
    [quote]
    [i]Originally posted by VWAaron[/i]
    Rexa is taking over this thread :D

    [/quote]
    [/quote]
    [/quote]

    #1647509
    Avatar of rexa
    rexa
    Participant

    Too bad I don’t work in the City anymore. I would join you for Happy hour or something. I just recently got laid off from my job. It’s been only one week and I already missed SF.

    Originally posted by Alpha
    Welcome to San Francisco! I’m working in the Financial District so if you want to hang out, perhaps for happy hours after work, I’m up for it.

    Originally posted by BayTownKhmer
    I actually found an apartment in Nob Hill. I work in Union Sqaure. When I first moved out here, I went to check out that temple. Unfortunately, I think it was closed. I’ve never been back since.

    But if anyone ever gets the chance to hang out around Union or Downtown area, hit me up. I’m always down to meet new Cambodian people. I’ll be the one who doesn’t spe

    #1647510
    Avatar of xAteytakalx
    xAteytakalx
    Participant

    You are lucky to be working in the Financial District because there is EZ access to transportation especially BART. I work in the Design District so I have to take Bart and then a shuttle, and sometime more walking to get where I need to be.

    [i]Originally posted by Alpha[/i]
    Driving and finding parking in SF can be difficult sometimes so a lot of us here in the city do use public transportation or just catch a cab.

    [quote]
    [i]Originally posted by rexa[/i]
    My heart was damage in San Francisco. My connection is here in the City. I may not give you good driving direction to places in the City but I know all my bus route. :)

    [quote]
    [i]Originally posted by AhSaren[/i]
    She must’ve left her heart in San Francisco.
    [quote]
    [i]Originally posted by VWAaron[/i]
    Rexa is taking over this thread :D

    [/quote]
    [/quote]
    [/quote]

    #1647511
    Avatar of Alpha
    Alpha
    Participant

    Yep… Seems like alot of the public transportation system serves the Financial District in SF. My muni ride comes by every 10 minutes and takes me directly to work in 15 minutes. Yes, lucky for me :).

    [i]Originally posted by xAteytakalx[/i]
    You are lucky to be working in the Financial District because there is EZ access to transportation especially BART. I work in the Design District so I have to take Bart and then a shuttle, and sometime more walking to get where I need to be.

    [quote]
    [i]Originally posted by Alpha[/i]
    Driving and finding parking in SF can be difficult sometimes so a lot of us here in the city do use public transportation or just catch a cab.

    [quote]
    [i]Originally posted by rexa[/i]
    My heart was damage in San Francisco. My connection is here in the City. I may not give you good driving direction to places in the City but I know all my bus route. :)

    [quote]
    [i]Originally posted by AhSaren[/i]
    She must’ve left her heart in San Francisco.
    [quote]
    [i]Originally posted by VWAaron[/i]
    Rexa is taking over this thread :D

    [/quote]
    [/quote]
    [/quote]
    [/quote]

    #1647512
    Avatar of xAteytakalx
    xAteytakalx
    Participant

    My building as a free shuttle but by the time I hop off bart, wait for the shuttle to take me, it’s about the same time it takes for me to drive to work. Although it is good to know for those rainy day when you just don’t feel like driving. Or like that one day when the BART to the city was at a stand still and everybody hop in their car, traffic was a mess!

    [i]Originally posted by Alpha[/i]
    Yep… Seems like alot of the public transportation system serves the Financial District in SF. My muni ride comes by every 10 minutes and takes me directly to work in 15 minutes. Yes, lucky for me :).

    [quote]
    [i]Originally posted by xAteytakalx[/i]
    You are lucky to be working in the Financial District because there is EZ access to transportation especially BART. I work in the Design District so I have to take Bart and then a shuttle, and sometime more walking to get where I need to be.

    [quote]
    [i]Originally posted by Alpha[/i]
    Driving and finding parking in SF can be difficult sometimes so a lot of us here in the city do use public transportation or just catch a cab.

    [quote]
    [i]Originally posted by rexa[/i]
    My heart was damage in San Francisco. My connection is here in the City. I may not give you good driving direction to places in the City but I know all my bus route. :)

    [quote]
    [i]Originally posted by AhSaren[/i]
    She must’ve left her heart in San Francisco.
    [quote]
    [i]Originally posted by VWAaron[/i]
    Rexa is taking over this thread :D

    [/quote]
    [/quote]
    [/quote]
    [/quote]
    [/quote]

    #1647513
    Avatar of Alpha
    Alpha
    Participant

    I think the West Oakland BART station was on fire so none of the trains were able to get into SF… Yes, that was a mess. I came into the office wondering why many of my co-workers were not in that day.

    [i]Originally posted by xAteytakalx[/i]
    My building as a free shuttle but by the time I hop off bart, wait for the shuttle to take me, it’s about the same time it takes for me to drive to work. Although it is good to know for those rainy day when you just don’t feel like driving. Or like that one day when the BART to the city was at a stand still and everybody hop in their car, traffic was a mess!

    [quote]
    [i]Originally posted by Alpha[/i]
    Yep… Seems like alot of the public transportation system serves the Financial District in SF. My muni ride comes by every 10 minutes and takes me directly to work in 15 minutes. Yes, lucky for me :).

    [quote]
    [i]Originally posted by xAteytakalx[/i]
    You are lucky to be working in the Financial District because there is EZ access to transportation especially BART. I work in the Design District so I have to take Bart and then a shuttle, and sometime more walking to get where I need to be.

    [quote]
    [i]Originally posted by Alpha[/i]
    Driving and finding parking in SF can be difficult sometimes so a lot of us here in the city do use public transportation or just catch a cab.

    [quote]
    [i]Originally posted by rexa[/i]
    My heart was damage in San Francisco. My connection is here in the City. I may not give you good driving direction to places in the City but I know all my bus route. :)

    [quote]
    [i]Originally posted by AhSaren[/i]
    She must’ve left her heart in San Francisco.
    [quote]
    [i]Originally posted by VWAaron[/i]
    Rexa is taking over this thread :D

    [/quote]
    [/quote]
    [/quote]
    [/quote]
    [/quote]
    [/quote]

    #1647514
    Avatar of MissFoxyL
    MissFoxyL
    Participant

    Why not Canada girl? Wouldn’t you rather hang out with me and I don’t pride myself on drinking either so come!

    [i]Originally posted by rexa[/i]
    Come soon because am planning to move to Canada..LOL!! J/K Too cold for me.

    [quote]
    [i]Originally posted by kimpirun98[/i]
    Hmmm!! it seems so happy overthere huh, I plan to move to settle in SF as well. Maybe, the ending of this year. So!!!
    Please you all do not forget to welcome me to be your best friend as well Ok!!! I just want to have afew shots of Cognac with Pailin first before I hit there.

    [/quote]

    \ˈfäk-sē\
    #1647515
    Avatar of rexa
    rexa
    Participant

    I want to hang out with you MissFoxy.

    [i]Originally posted by MissFoxyL[/i]
    Why not Canada girl? Wouldn’t you rather hang out with me and I don’t pride myself on drinking either so come!
    [quote]
    [i]Originally posted by rexa[/i]
    Come soon because am planning to move to Canada..LOL!! J/K Too cold for me.

    [quote]
    [i]Originally posted by kimpirun98[/i]
    Hmmm!! it seems so happy overthere huh, I plan to move to settle in SF as well. Maybe, the ending of this year. So!!!
    Please you all do not forget to welcome me to be your best friend as well Ok!!! I just want to have afew shots of Cognac with Pailin first before I hit there.

    [/quote]
    [/quote]

    #1647516
    Avatar of rexa
    rexa
    Participant

    Thanks to the Bart closures it lead me to take the ferry to work for the first time. It was fun. I felt like I was a tourist or a kid going on a field with a bunch of stranger. Who are as lost as you are. It took me 4 hrs just to get to work but it was worth it. Met some people along the way and built a nice network in SF. BTW….That was one day before my laid off. It was like a sign.

    [i]Originally posted by Alpha[/i]
    I think the West Oakland BART station was on fire so none of the trains were able to get into SF… Yes, that was a mess. I came into the office wondering why many of my co-workers were not in that day.

    [quote]
    [i]Originally posted by xAteytakalx[/i]
    My building as a free shuttle but by the time I hop off bart, wait for the shuttle to take me, it’s about the same time it takes for me to drive to work. Although it is good to know for those rainy day when you just don’t feel like driving. Or like that one day when the BART to the city was at a stand still and everybody hop in their car, traffic was a mess!

    [quote]
    [i]Originally posted by Alpha[/i]
    Yep… Seems like alot of the public transportation system serves the Financial District in SF. My muni ride comes by every 10 minutes and takes me directly to work in 15 minutes. Yes, lucky for me :).

    [quote]
    [i]Originally posted by xAteytakalx[/i]
    You are lucky to be working in the Financial District because there is EZ access to transportation especially BART. I work in the Design District so I have to take Bart and then a shuttle, and sometime more walking to get where I need to be.

    [quote]
    [i]Originally posted by Alpha[/i]
    Driving and finding parking in SF can be difficult sometimes so a lot of us here in the city do use public transportation or just catch a cab.

    [quote]
    [i]Originally posted by rexa[/i]
    My heart was damage in San Francisco. My connection is here in the City. I may not give you good driving direction to places in the City but I know all my bus route. :)

    [quote]
    [i]Originally posted by AhSaren[/i]
    She must’ve left her heart in San Francisco.
    [quote]
    [i]Originally posted by VWAaron[/i]
    Rexa is taking over this thread :D

    [/quote]
    [/quote]
    [/quote]
    [/quote]
    [/quote]
    [/quote]
    [/quote]

    #1647517
    Avatar of rexa
    rexa
    Participant
    #1647518
    Avatar of borospailin
    borospailin
    Participant
    #1647519
    Avatar of rexa
    rexa
    Participant

    Awww….Frank you should have email me. We end up hang out until 2am. You could of give us a hand when we got lost. What a night , the night I will never forget.

    Alpha, it was nice to met you. I’m glad you can make it out there with us. I had a blast. We need to plan another night out in SF.
    _

    [i]Originally posted by borospailin[/i]
    i’ll be at the Giants/Reds game
    go giants!
    make this 5 shut out in a row:)

    [quote]
    [i]Originally posted by rexa[/i]
    June 29 around 2pm am going to be in the city. Email me if you want to meet up. [email protected]. We’ll probably be there until 8 or so.

    [/quote]

    #1647520
    Avatar of BayTownKhmer
    BayTownKhmer
    Participant

    Living in Nob Hill has its advantages. I’m a 5 minute walk to Union Square, where I work. Since I’m in Food & Beverage, I get to go around the city and try new restaurants and bars daily. It’s been fun so far, learning about a new city. Any Khmer people who want to go out for some drinks or appetizers, let me know.

    #1647521
    Avatar of VWAaron
    VWAaron
    Participant

    I S.F.

    #1647522
    Avatar of linnnie
    linnnie
    Participant

    Me too! I could live there. 

    [i]Originally posted by VWAaron[/i]
    I [img]http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-love018.gif[/img] S.F.

    #1647523
    Avatar of VWAaron
    VWAaron
    Participant

    we should move there!

    [i]Originally posted by linnnie[/i]
    Me too! I could live there. 
    [quote]
    [i]Originally posted by VWAaron[/i]
    I [img]http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-love018.gif[/img] S.F.

    [/quote]

Viewing 24 posts - 36 through 59 (of 59 total)